Tuesday, September 23, 2014

A Behemoth is coming!

So in this post I will focus on another of my ER&W steam power projects. I've leaned more towards more general and older locomotives from the late 1800s and the early 1900s. 4-4-0s, 4-6-0s, and 2-8-0s are all favorites of mine. As well as some of the earlier 4-6-2s. Though that being said, sometimes it can be an exhilarating change when larger motive power comes into play! I have had an eye for certain 2-10-0 and 2-10-2 locomotives, and who can forget the slightly smaller, but speedy 2-8-4 Berkshire! So why not a massive 2-10-4!?

This engine started life as a Rivarossi Baltimore & Ohio 2-10-2. I picked it up for $45 at a small local hobby shop in Watkinsville, GA. Probably one of my favorite buys!

There was just something about the proportions of this locomotive that I really liked! And although I'm selective with Vanderbuilt tenders, I still loved the locomotive! Though at the time I didn't know what I would do with it. 

About a year later I was doing some visual research on locomotives and came across pictures of husky and intimidating looking 2-10-4s. As I thought about it I thought it would be fun to try converting this engine into one, but at the time I didn't have the parts. Fortunately a friend of my who lives near Athens, GA let me have a few parts he didn't really need, and that included some parts from a dismantled Bachmann N&W J class 4-8-4. And in that box of goodies was also the rear truck to the 4-8-4. Then the gears began to turn.... And this was the result when I got a chance to pull out the engine.

Again, sorry for any blurryness, and bonus points if you can correctly guess which movie is playing in the background of the second photo!

This engine still has a long way to go, but even with some minor changes the look and feel of this engine has changed substantially! The new smokebox front is from a Pemco 4-8-2. I never had the engine, but it was a part I picked out of a junk box and thought it looked pretty good on the model. The trailing truck is from the Bachmann J class and I think it looks pretty good! Still need to add a headlight and a few other details. And of course the engine has yet to be painted in ER&W colors. Eventually I'll add additional brass detail parts, including a double smoke stack like those used on the SP Cab Forwards. Still debating on whether I want to keep the Vandy tender or try to go with another type. Either way, it will be one heck of a locomotive!

1 comment:

  1. LOVE the thought of making the B&O's 2-10-2's another "look" as they the B&O did the same sort of thing to start the B&O's own fleet of T Class 4-8-2's all built from a B&O Class S, 2-10-2.

    EVER decide to use a different Tender for it I'd be interested in trading a tender to you for the Vanderbuilt one! (I model the B&O)

    ReplyDelete